Saturday, September 11, 2010

Getting back on track

Well clearly it has been a while, my focus has been diverted and not entirely pleasantly – life does throw curves, much has happened - some Aliyah related, much not.  Now with the New Year here, getting back on track is what I am aiming for.

After Pesach I had been so looking forward to my appointment with the Jewish Agency (April 14). I anticipated a surge forward in information and much clarification. I could not have been more disappointed, not just in the lack of knowledge but most particularly in the lack of professionalism demonstrated by the staff. I was finally clued into at least one reason for the disinterest on both their and NBN’s part in providing ‘aid’ – My anticipated date of arrival in Israel is not until the spring of 2012 – apparently when the government approves the Aliyah application it is valid for only 6 months and then must be renewed.  They would rather not process mine just yet; I felt left in Limbo – literally walked out of the office thinking nothing would happen until they had what they judged to be a firm commitment from me, imagine my surprise when I got a call on May 18th to tell me my application had been processed and I was all good to take flight – Yeah!  One tiny caveat; permission would need to be renewed, if I took longer then one year and I know I will, but that’s O.K. 'cause now I know I am an “Oleh Hadasha” with all the rights and privileges, and that puts my mind at ease.

Next a colleague had kindly provided the contact info for a physician in Israel. I spoke with him and though informative; definitely not encouraging, unless I was prepared to provide my expertise for free. Frankly, I have trouble at the moment seeing myself doing that. Although while being contemplative during these High Holiday services, have begun to notice a softening of the armour I usually wear, and yes those two thoughts are related.

Now on to the next steps ....................

No comments:

Post a Comment