Saturday, March 27, 2010

nachus (happy) making

the following is a wee bit of something I wrote that will be published in my synagogue's monthly news letter - I just had to share (it may be a bit repetitious of earlier posts), and there will be photos - right now am working on photo shop skills to put together a collage of 'people'



" this is not so much a reminiscence, but rather a telling of how the past year, and my first at Darchei Noam has been quite instrumental and pivotal in helping me come to/clarify a goal and a future for myself

it has been a life long dream to return to Israel (I was born there in Dec. of  '49), I tried it out for 9 months in '77-'78, unfortunately (or perhaps not) it was a stillbirth, Israel and I were not on the same page at that time and I choose to complete my studies and have a career as a psychiatrist here in Toronto

the desire continued unerringly to flicker, and while clearing out a bookshelf recently I discovered Aliyah applications from the mid eighties, for the life of me I do not recall - how odd yet true to the urging within

then just over one year ago a major change in my life - my mother died, there has been sadness but also gradually a "lightness of being", my last major responsibility had been discharged, I could now chart my own course unencumbered, perhaps an enviable position

the second serendipitous event was finding Darchei Noam - I was on my way Home - how could I know this?  there was tremendous warmth and welcoming and I heard Hebrew spoken with an Israeli accent, how wonderful

it became evident in short order that not only the congregation as a whole but also it's  members have close ties with Israel

this upped my awareness and then I started to dither, most uncomfortable, knowing of the necessity to make a trip to assess my relationship status with Israel; and I was so loath to do this on my own - did I not come to Darchei Noam  at a fortuitous time? a Rabbi led trip was on the table, I jumped as high and as fast as I could to nab this opportunity

then came the cautionary words - Israel has changed a great deal, yes I expect so, and I had chosen not to stay before

for me; after my two weeks there, I learnt that the essence of Israel, something I am still having a tough time articulating, had not changed, yes there are modern highways, and there has been a construction boom throughout the country;

the people though, the people I observed were as they ever were, and I fell in love with a sweetness as I have never known, I am continuing my journey Home

thank you Darchei Noam for being the supportive one as I pursue my dream ! I am blessed, and may I be able to “pay it forward”! "

No comments:

Post a Comment